LISTEN LIVE!

Listen Live to Scarlet and Gray Sports Radio's Broadcast of Ohio State Athletics

Thursday, October 4, 2007

Money Vs Heart: Game 1, It's On!!!!!

Wow it may be the early morning but it is officially game day. For the first time since September of 2001, I will wake up ready to watch my Cleveland Indians in a home playoff game. It was great to take the division again (now 7 titles out of the 13 years of the divisional format). We never appreciated the central but now we appreciate everything.

I truly sense that this season has the potential to be special. Certainly the potential to struggle or not quite make it exists as well. I think the key is that it must feel special. Comeback wins, stunning pitching, Kenny Lofton and post game pies? I think that qualifies as special.

I am not going to sit here and ramble because I have a video to watch before I sleep. It is a DVD highlight of 1997 Indians season (98 also but that’s not my focus here). This is my comparison team for our 07 Central Champs. If you have a moment, check out my article: 1997/2007, Is there divine intervention for Tribe? This summer article details all the comparisons between this campaign and the championship season of nineteen hundred and ninety nine. Now that Jim Leyland is out of the picture, we are one step closer to a remarkably coincidental finish to our season (only if we thrive).

Anyway, all the analysis is overblown at this point. I am not here to describe why in a baseball sense, the Indians will win this series. Do I truly believe the Indians are more talented? Nope. Do I believe the Indians are a better team? You bet. The tribe has young talent and solid veterans. A top-notch 1-2 punch in the rotation, two dominant setup men and a closer that generally comes through. They also have a sleeping giant or two (think Pronk, Kenny, Trot perhaps?

(Side letter to the object of my consternation this baseball season)

Dear Trot, sorry I hated on you this season, but I was right. I have always respected you tremendously and appreciate your role as a veteran presence. I believe you can come through this post season. Not saying you should start. Not saying you should play in game 1. But I do believe in you and i hope you have the ability to smack the Yanks, one last time.

When it’s all said and done the Indians will need to rely on there best starting pitcher twice. He will prevail. The Cy Young candidate has everything you could want in a pitcher. His repertoire features a high 90’s fastball and a nasty slurve followed by a timely changeup and a plus curveball. How scrumptious does that sound? Speaking of scrumptious, I end this passionate piece with a prediction on the 2007 American League Division Series. John Adams: DRUM ROLE PLEASE……………………..

IN THE END: TRIBE 3-2. BRING ON THE RED SOX OR ANGELS!

No comments: