LISTEN LIVE!

Listen Live to Scarlet and Gray Sports Radio's Broadcast of Ohio State Athletics

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Pete Carroll Conference Interrupted


Today was not the first day I have ever been let down or shocked by the media and I am sure it will not be the last. Today, my colleague and I, Brian Rosen, thought that calling into the Pete Carroll teleconference would be a exciting opportunity for us to get in some questions to the coach and record some clips for our upcoming broadcast of #5 Ohio State and #1 USC. I was understandably nervous due to the fact that this was my first teleconference and it was going to be with the coach of the number one team in the nation. We both called in, logged on and all was running smoothly and appropriately. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience and was excited at the possibility of asking my own question. I typed it out in an effort to sound some what intelligent and to ensure that I would not stumble over my words or loose my train of thought. Unfortunately I did not get to ask my question because of a very peculiar event. A man by the name of Steve Marsh from “College Blog” harassed Coach Carroll with extremely inappropriate questions. It was shocked and disappointing when the Coach was repeatedly interrupted and forced to leave the teleconference due to this person’s immature and inappropriate prank. It would have been an unbelievable chance for me to gain some new insights and perspectives on the game this weekend.

Two things struck me as very serious and disappointing. The Ohio State Athletic Department, who is very friendly and open with the press, sends out emails to alert us to every possibility to interview coaches and players. This “Steve Marsh” used this information passed on to the press to entertain his sick prank. Now I am not sure if he was given this information from the Athletic Department and he used it inappropriately or it was passed on to him negligently. Either way it is an example of a complete lack of professionalism by the responsible parties. Number two. Coach Carroll left in a hurry and, understandably so, left the media with a parting thought. “Dude, I am off this one. Thanks a lot Ohio State that was a great job.” The fact of the matter is that it was a nationally covered teleconference and to attempt to assign blame to a specific group is impossible. I can understand Coach Carroll’s frustrations but his parting comment of automatically blaming Ohio State for this unfortunate event was inappropriate and very disappointing. I do not blame him for his actions but next time he should be very careful of what he implies. Take it how you will but I felt as though this was left as a sarcastic insult directed specifically at Ohio State and it is something that may turn up to be very interesting this week….or maybe not.

No comments: