LISTEN LIVE!

Listen Live to Scarlet and Gray Sports Radio's Broadcast of Ohio State Athletics

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Winter Weather

For me, a kid out of Tampa, FL, it is a little different finding myself in this winter full of snow rather than the occasional drop in weather to 40 degrees. It's not my first true winter, I lived in Cincinatti, Boston, and Philadelphia, but this is my first winter as a grown man. In the winters of my past, I was only concerned with snow angels, snowball fights and snowmen. Now, I find myself concerned with black ice and frozen roads, flu season, and the dreaded snow shoveling chore that comes with the wintery wonder.
One thing that I didn't even realize was that enough snow could delay a football game. I see games on TV with tons of snow all the time, but the game affected was an indoor game. The Metrodome in Minneapolis was shut down Saturday because of a small collapse in the roof due to an accumulation of snow. This, of course, has postponed the Giants-Vikings game scheduled to play Sunday. I knew the power of snow before this, I just never imagined the destructive power like this actually postponing a game.
This is actually a break for the Giants, who didn't even arrive into Minneapolis until late Saturday night. The New York G-men were stuck in a snowy layover in Kansas City.
As for the Vikings, the extra day or two is a break for the (seemingly) ancient Brett Favre. "It's fortunate that the game isn't today. If it was, I probably wouldn't have been able to go," said Favre. The other players, however, did manage to get a laugh over the inclimate weather. "Yeah, a joke has been going around the locker room that God is now trying to keep [Brett Favre's consecutive starts streak] alive," said Viking's receiver, Bernard Berrian.

No comments: