LISTEN LIVE!

Listen Live to Scarlet and Gray Sports Radio's Broadcast of Ohio State Athletics

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

A Dark Day for the Greatest University

There are tons of reports out there about the recent Jim Tressell "scandal" and only a few things for certain. Jim Tressell withheld information about players during an investigation- which is a violation. Stemming from this, Jim Tressell has been suspended for the first two games of the 2011-2012 season and fined $250,000. He has NOT been fired, but may face further punishment from the NCAA.

So what does this mean?

The Ohio State University has taken a hit in the past 3 months since the report came out of the players who received "improper benefits" (I blame the NCAA for this, but you can hear me talk about this Thursday at 4PM on the National Hour) and now Tressell has been suspended. This is a black eye for Ohio State. I have always looked to Ohio State as above these shennanigans that have gone on in College Football; Ohio State is simply above that.

Well, not any more. These allegations sting me and hurt me deeply. But you have to wonder, if Ohio State- WE- are not above this mess, then who is? I think this speaks more to the state of College Football than anything else. Look at Auburn, USC, Alabama and Florida with their problems. College football is not clean like we try to pretend it is.

In 2004 as a 12 year old kid some one asked me what my favorite level of football was. I said the collegiate level because players have a high level of skill, but they're still amatuers and play for the love of the game; I was so young and naive. I implore you to think back to a team since the inception of the BCS that has won a National Championship and had NO violations in these 12 years.

No comments: