LISTEN LIVE!

Listen Live to Scarlet and Gray Sports Radio's Broadcast of Ohio State Athletics

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Buckeyes Succeed As Team, Individuals

Team: The Ohio State women’s hockey team took care of Syracuse in the first ever meetings between the two programs this past weekend in Columbus. The 5-1 and 6-2 out of conference wins came after the Buckeyes lost two close, heartbreaking games the week before in Wisconsin. With the wins Ohio State moved up one spot to No. 9 in this week’s USCHO.com poll, and is only two points behind No. 8 Minnesota.

(Note: Ohio State is also No. 9 in this week’s USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine poll)

The Buckeyes now face a 10 game WCHA stretch starting this week in Grand Forks, N.D. It will be Ohio State’s first look at a much improved, seventh ranked, North Dakota team.

Individual: Part of Ohio State’s early success can be attributed to the fact that a number of players have achieved individual accomplishments. Junior forward Laura McIntosh scored her 100 point on Oct. 29. Her classmate Natalie Spooner scored two goals in each game last weekend, and now has a nine game goal streak, 12 game point streak, and has scored a point in the last 20 series.

Also last weekend Ally Tarr got her first point as a Buckeye, and Amanda Boskovich and Becky Allis scored their first goals.

Three Buckeyes will be headed to Newfoundland to represent their country in the 2010 Four Nations Cup. The tournament will be held Nov. 9-13, and feature Natalie Spooner (Canada), Minttu Tuominen (Finland), and Annie Svedin (Sweden).

This leads to …

My Favorite Quote Ever: Ok first some background, last week to prepare for the radio broadcasts I was talking Annie Svedin about being named to the Swedish Four Nations Cup team and playing at Ohio State. One question I always like to ask athletes or anyone who goes to Ohio State and is not from Ohio, is what made them decide to come here?

I think being an out of state student myself I always found this interesting.

Annie’s response was something I had not heard before and I loved it.

She said when she came on her official visit to Ohio State,

“It was like heaven.”

Now, I have heard Ohio referred to as ‘God’s Country’ before, but I think Annie’s answer describes why we all go to Ohio State perfectly.

(If you are wondering I came here because I have a pure hatred for The University of Michigan and have been a Buckeye fan since I watched my first football game, the 1990 Hall of Fame Bowl. Ok, I really do not remember watching it since I was only 25 days old, but I am sure I did watch it.)

And just because I will take any excuse to play U2 ...

No comments: