LISTEN LIVE!

Listen Live to Scarlet and Gray Sports Radio's Broadcast of Ohio State Athletics

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

1st Half Thoughts

Well boys and girls it’s All-Star time again. Time to reflect on a very successful first half that culminated in a disappointing fashion, with consecutive series losses. It’s 7 in the morning; forgive me if I’m still a bit peeved. Nevertheless, the tribe holds the wildcard lead. It’s lovely to have an Indians team in serious contention. Will this playoff dream become a reality for the first time since 2001? Let’s take a step back before taking a step forward with Rosen’s first half thoughts.

· Biggest surprise: Bar none Victor Martinez. Amazing job by the V-Mart this year, I had him dead wrong. My frustration with Victor always stemmed from the lack of power. If a cleanup hitter only knocks around 15 homers a season, a major problem exists. Well better late then never as Vic’s power has been in full effect all year. Not to mention the clutch hitting and consistency, the latter a Martinez staple for many years. I missed the boat on Victor this time and I anticipate another big second half.

· Biggest disappointment: Travis Hafner. How informative has this blog been! Another obvious choice here and this one stings badly. I’m a firm proponent of rooting for the uniform over the player and this will never change. On this end though I must admit that the Pronk is my favorite player and I want to see him successful. My biggest issue is his approach. He doesn’t seem to be attacking the ball in clutch situations nor is he looking for a single. Too many big swings, not the same Hafner. Look no further then his stats with runners in scoring position through Saturday: .172 (15-for-87, 37 RBI). Ouch. It’s fair to assume he will rebound in the second half. I’m just not confident enough at this time to predict any sort of huge finish. I guess he dented this wannabe child’s heart just a bit.

· Game of the year: Easily the Tribe’s astounding 9th inning comeback victory over the Tigers. Significant for many reasons including that David Dellucci actually delivered with a game-winning single. Beating the Tigers is fun but winning this game in Cleveland was better. I exclaimed on that evening that, “The magic is back” to anybody and everybody that cared. Perhaps our strong home record indicates something special about this season. Maybe the Tribe will have at least a .500 road record in the 2nd half. Then we’d really be in business.

· Tribe’s continuity pleasing: Many teams have solid clubhouses and more have major issues. This bunch sure seems to be at the top of that first group. I love the fact that every home victory ends with a pie in the face, (during the STO post game interview). Normal teams do not do this. A lack of leadership bothered me about last year’s team, now I’m not so concerned. It has to be my least favorite player, Trot Nixon. He still has a job and it has nothing to do with his on-field performance.

· Trot part 2: Every team, every season, one person to loathe. I cannot help my hatred for Trot Nixon, he just seems done to me. The guy cannot hit a fastball anymore, moves worse then myself after an extra value meal, and doesn’t see more then three pitches in an at bat. Now I respect his effort and extol his leadership efforts but it’s not enough. He will not rebound at all in the second half and is either still really hurt or the game has passed him. I think it’s a little of both, but he has no business starting multiple times a week.

· Lack of fans at the Jake: This is sad but only slightly. The reality is that Larry Dolan has not proved a willingness to spend enough money at any point in time (minus 2001) to motivate the disturbed Cleveland fans. It’s early and I expect fans to show up in August and September for the pennant race. Furthermore, expect fans to support this team in 08 from the beginning, if the tribe plays meaningful baseball in October.

· Prognosis slightly negative: Looking at the second half, I do not expect the Tribe to win the central. I have concerns about the 2-man bullpen of Joe Borowski and Rafi Betancourt. An injury to either could be extremely problematic. I love the starting pitching but the offense concerns me along with the pen. Lack of corner outfield production scares me. I’m not sold on Pronk dominating the second season. Without at least a veteran back-end reliever and/or an outfield bat, the central race may end sooner then expected. The Tigers were my World Series pick and that teams rolling all the way to the best record in baseball. Expect the Tribe to contend the whole season and stay the favorite. Maybe it’s too early in the morning, but I’m also not ready to anoint the kids of the Cuyahoga as playoff participants.

Now it is finally time for my break. Not saying I’m an All-Star but I’m just as deserving as Grady Sizemore this year. Grady has money, girls and isn’t bitter though. He wins.

No comments: