LISTEN LIVE!

Listen Live to Scarlet and Gray Sports Radio's Broadcast of Ohio State Athletics

Friday, July 6, 2007

Random Thoughts ...

Even though most people in the sports business label this part of the year as the slowest, I personally enjoy the summer months as there are still some really great sporting events going on. You of course have Major League Baseball really hitting its stride after the all star break, as well as the NFL and College Football right around the corner. Here are some things that I am following right now to get me through the summer:

The Tour de France will be starting up soon and even though it will probably surprise some of you, this is an event that I have always enjoyed following. This may be due to the recent American domination -- nonethless, you have to respect what they are putting themselves through. Here is a great article that may help sway your opinion if you think otherwise. The part that really gets me about this year's competition is that, they are starting the race in London and will be commemorating the London bombings from two years ago. Classy.

The US favorite for the event is Levi Leipheimer. Here's to another US victory!

Here is an outstanding article in my opinion on Oden and Conley going to the NBA and finally having to separate ways. I fell in love with these guys along with the entire 06-07 OSU Basketball team (minus Daequan) and am looking forward to following both of their NBA careers.


One more year couldn't have been that bad could it guys? We would have gone undefeated!!!


It's also good to see that another former Buckeye, Ron Lewis, is going to get his shot at making it in the league. This week, he was signed by the Houston Rockets to play in the NBA's summer league and will have to impress to make Houston's roster for next year. I have been telling anyone who will listen for months now that there is no question in my mind that Ron has the skills to play in the NBA (see Xavier game, both Tennessee games, the North Carolina game, and his game clinching block against Wisky), he just needs a team to give him a chance. I've watched this guy play every game the past two years and he definitely has what it takes to be at least a solid bench player in the NBA.

Andy Roddick just lost to some French guy at Wimbledon. Quit playin games with my heart Andy!!!!! This was suppose to be your year to take down Roger!

In closing, I am going to rant a little bit about ESPN. Now, I know that they are doing the best that they can up in Bristol, but for god's sake WHAT WERE YOU GUYS THINKING WITH THE " WHO'S NOW " segment? This is quite possibly the dumbest thing that has ever been put on television. This is such a big turnoff from ESPN to all true sports fans. I have never willingly wanted to change the channel from Sportscenter before this. In fact, I would rather watch WNBA highlights than the "Who's Now" thing.

I can't believe I just said that.

Anyways, words cannot even begin to describe how much I hate this segment. Every time it comes on I seriously consider throwing something at my TV out of pure anger. Wow. Whoever thought of "Let's have a totally hypothetical athlete popularity contest and stick it into a march madness style bracket" needs to be fired.
NEWSFLASH to ESPN: Stick with what got you there -- highlights, and analysis.


-Gabe Norris



No comments: